POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Aug 2008 11:34:38
Message: <48a05c0e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:58:45 +0100, St. wrote:

> Heard enough horror stories about them.

Such as?

I used to work in IT in the food/drug retail industry (but I don't any
more).  So I'm curious how people think that data's being used.  I don't
have a complete picture myself, but what I've seen of it in the chain I
used to work in, I don't think it's anywhere as bad as people think.

Understanding customer spending habits allows a store to better stock up
on the things I need/want.  In general, it would be impossible for a
large chain to use that data to track individual shopping habits - the
data is much more useful in determining things like aggregate products
purchased by the local population and a better understanding of how
customers use multiple stores in the same area.

I wonder what kind of stories Starbuck's data would give you, for
example....

Jim